Could This Be You?
One of the most important signs of substance addiction or dependence is the continued use of drugs or alcohol despite experiencing negative consequences. Often, a person will blame other people or circumstances for his or her problems instead of realizing that the difficulties result from the use of drugs or alcohol. Signs and symptoms of drug use or intoxication may vary, depending on the type of drug.
Drug addiction symptoms or behaviors include, among others:
- An obsession to use a substance
- Unable to stop using the substance
- Constant state of denial
- Unable to accept responsibility for any actions (good or bad)
- Over time, needing more of the substance to get the same effect
- Taking larger amounts of the substance over a longer period of time
- Having to maintain a supply of the substance
- Spending money on the substance, even though you can’t afford it
- Not meeting obligations & responsibilities, or cutting back on social or recreational activities
- Continuing to use, even when it causes problems or causes physical or psychological harm
- Doing things to get the substance that you normally wouldn’t do, such as stealing
- Driving or doing other risky activities when you’re under the influence
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms
WHAT IS SUBSTANCE ABUSE?
Alcoholism & drug dependence (addiction), known as substance use disorder, have complex problems. People with these disorders once were thought to have a character defect or moral failing. Scientists & medical researchers now consider dependence on alcohol or drugs to be a chronic disease, characterized by drug seeking & use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences.
Repeated drug use can lead to brain changes that challenge an addicted person’s self-control and interfere with their ability to resist intense urges to take drugs. These brain changes can be persistent, which is why drug addiction is considered a “relapsing” disease — people in recovery from substance use disorder are at an increased risk of relapsing despite years of not sobriety. (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
State-Targeted Response grant funded treatment facilities in Arkansas
The facilities are funded for observational detox programs. In addition, Quapaw House has a medical detox program. The STR-grant funded facilities are providing (1) Substance Abuse assistant treatment & (2) Medicated assistant treatment. *Seeking treatment? Substance abuse treatment may be provided in a person’s catchment area (with financial criteria requirements).
- Counseling Associates
350 Salem Rd. Suite 1
Conway, AR 72034
Cleburne, Searcy, Stone, Van Buren
- Northeast Arkansas Community Center d/b/a Mid-South Health Systems
2702 Browns Lane
Jonesboro, AR 72401
Craighead, Clay, Cross, Crittenden, Fulton, Greene, Izard, Independence, Jackson, Lawrence, Lee, Mississippi, Monroe, Sharp, Poinsett, Phillips, Randolph, Saint Francis, White, Woodruff
- Harbor House, Inc.
615 North 19th St.
Fort Smith, AR 72903
Crawford, Franklin, Logan, Polk, Scott, Sebastian
- Quapaw House
812 Mountain Pine Road
Hot Springs, AR 71913
Conway, Clark, Faulkner, Garland, Hot Springs, Johnson, Montgomery, Pope, Perry, Pike, Yell
- 10th District Substance Abuse Program d/b/a New Beginnings C.A.S.A
412 York Street
Arkansas, Ashley, Bradley, Chicot, Cleveland, Desha, Drew, Grant, Jefferson, Lincoln
- Southwest Arkansas Counseling and Mental Health Center (SWACMHC)
2904 Arkansas Blvd.
Texarkana, AR 71854
Calhoun, Columbia, Dallas, Howard, Hempstead, Little River, Lafayette, Miller, Nevada, Ouachita, Sevier, Union
- Recovery Centers of Arkansas (RCA)
1201 River Rd.
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Lonoke, Prairie, Pulaski, Saline
- Northeast Arkansas Treatment Services, LLC
912 Osler Drive, Suite B
Jonesboro, AR 72401
- CATAR Clinic of North Little Rock
4260 Stockton Drive, Suite B
North Little Rock, AR 72117
- UAMS Center for Addiction Services & Treatment -Substance Abuse Treatment Clinic
4224 Shuffield Drive
Little Rock, AR 72205
- Central Arkansas Treatment Services
5407 Highway 5 North Suite 6
Bryant, AR 72022
(501) 725 -9098